Creative Eye WorkshopsTM
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I just purchased a new camera. Can I take your photography classes?
A: You may take any of our classes if you have a DSLR camera, one that you can change the lenses. If you can't, then you own a point-and-shoot camera, which doesn't give you the flexibility and access you need to learn photography.
Q: I'm new at photography, what classes do you suggest I take?
A: The bottom line is take the following classes and you will quickly be on your way: Get to Know Your Camera, Make Great Pictures Now!, Digital Photo Basics 1!, Complete Exposure, and Photoshop Elements Essentials. For a more detail answer, please read this very insightful page: Mike's Photography Class Suggestions. .
Q: I don't take many nature photographs. Do you only teach nature photography?
A: We teach real life, unstaged photography, which is what most people do. Subject matter is not relevant. It doesn't matter if you photograph children or animals, flowers or bugs, landscapes or cityscapes, scenic shots or vacation pictures, the fundamental concepts are the same.
Q: I want to get into portrait & studio photography. Can your classes help me?
A: If you are just starting out, then you need to learn the fundamentals of exposure and composition. We're superb at teaching the fundamentals. Of course, you will eventually need to take specialized photography classes to learn about artificial lighting and portraiture that we have no plans of offering. However, if you master the fundamentals, any kind of photography will become much easier to learn.
Q: Are your classes complicated?
A: By its very nature, photography is a technical subject (no two ways about it). But, Mike makes it as simple as possible. As a self-taught photographer, Mike learned the hard way. And, because he has degrees in mathematics and physics, Mike has simplifed all of the complex information and created visually intuitive animations and graphics to make learning easier.
Q: Technical info scares me. Are your classes hard?
A: Everyone starts out being a little afraid of their digital cameras. They're mysterious, complicated, and expensive. So, you'll be happy to know that you're perfectly normal! Not only do we specialize in simplifying the complicated ideas and making the fundamentals easy to learn. But, we're also very good at helping you overcome your fear. So, quit worrying, start learning, and have fun!
• Beginning Photography: Photography Exposure, Photography Composition, Adobe Photoshop Elements, How to Use Your Digital Camera, DSLR Camera Fundamentals, etc.
• Digital Photography: Using the Histogram, Exposure, Metering, Digital Printing, File Formats of RAW, TIF, JPG, etc.
• Nature Photography Techniques: Creative Use of Natural Light (in the Landscape), Landscape Photography, Hyperfocal Distance & Depth of Field, Fundamentals of Exposure, Perfecting Exposure, Exposure Compensation, Light Metering, Spot Metering, How to use Split Grad Filters, Controlling Contrast, Expose to the Right Technique (ETTR).
• Digital Darkroom Techniques: Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Photoshop, Digital Printing, Photoshop Fundamentals & Advanced Topics: Curves, Layers, Layer Masks & Selections, Adjustment Layers, Selective Color, Shadow/Highlight Filter, Color Management, Color Profiles, Local Contrast, Sharpening.
• Creative Photography Techniques: Basic Photographic Composition, Telling the Story, Photographing Your Feelings, Finding Your Own Personal Style (your Creative Eye), Advanced Composition, Restoring the Third Dimension, Landscape Photography Techniques, Creating Order from Chaos.
6200 Belmont Road
Downers Grove, Illinois 60516
630-852-8448 / 877-MAC-FOTO
All images on this website are the property of
Embedded within each image is an invisible copyright watermark to guard against theft.
If you have an interest in any of the photographs contained in this website, please contact us.
Copyright 1999-2013Mike MacDonald Photography, Inc.
All Rights Reserved